Monday, June 1, 2009

Porto leader stays on

Basking in the winning the fourth consecutive Liga title as well as hoisting the Taça de Portugal, Porto can rest easy as Jesualdo Ferreira has extended his contract for two more years

Os Dragões manager commented on the decision:

"The day we faced Manchester United at the Estádio do Dragão, the Porto president and I agreed to extend my stay here for two more years. There is nothing written yet and the agreement was sealed with a handshake.

"It’s a verbal compromise, nothing is yet signed, but I’ve accepted it without hesitations. I will go on with great pleasure. We will start working from tomorrow in the defining aspects of the new season.

"These three years at F.C. Porto are the ones more fulfilling in my career, which make me more proud but also which demanded more effort from me. I want to express my gratitude to the club that allowed my success. I’m grateful to F.C. Porto.

"There are no records to beat at F.C. Porto. This club has already won everything there is to be won. We maintain our winning ambition, which is closely related with this institution, because we know that in F.C. Porto is possible to reach excellence. Our upcoming goal is the Portuguese Supercup, which we want to claim, and that’s the reality of a natural born winner, the one who wins all the time. We will try to be up to the exigency that the club demands to its professionals."

With so many top level managers changing sides of recent, Porto's signing of Mr. Ferreira is a tremendous step forward as the club looks to continues its championship run.