Thursday, May 28, 2009

Stephen Ireland commits to Man City

With the campaign behind us, City supporters are ready to boil over with possible additions. The rumours run wild with a countless grouping of mega-stars linked the possible offers from club. However in one the best possible early moves the club could make, it has signed Stephen Ireland to a five year deal.

The twenty-two year-old stole the show this year and has been rewarding with a deal that escalates to £80k per week in the final stages of the contract for a total value of £18m.

Pledging his undying loyalty to Man City, he said:

"I never had any doubts about staying. Regardless, I was going to be here, and hopefully for the remainder of my career. I don't see why not. I really want to become a hero here, to hopefully achieve things.

"I'm settled here - I love the club, I love the fans, and I don't see what's going to make me leave this club.

"These are very exciting times. It's going to be interesting just to see what the line-up will be at the start of next season and how far we can push on. Hopefully we can compete for the title and get back into Europe.

"I've always trusted my ability, but it's only this season I've come out of my shell. I worked hard last summer to try and reach the targets I set myself. I reached some, the others are something to aim at next season.

"But I never take my place for granted. I don't think I ever would, I don't like to take my foot off the gas."