Wednesday, December 31, 2008

One player who won’t be going

With all the talk of air-lift at Man City, a number of players have been concerned about maintaining their position with the club. and considering moving-on. This has rightfully posed a problem with the club, particularly as it tries to find a balance between bringing in high profile players with its academy program. This is particularly an issue at striker where Felipe Caicedo, Ched Evans and Daniel Sturridge possess bales of talent but unfortunately do not get the type of playing time that they would at many other clubs.

However Daniel Sturridge is adamant about staying with the club and becoming a regular. City fans got another taste of his promise in the recent Blackburn match as he came in with nineteen minutes remaining and down by two, he scored once and provided Robinho a perfect set-up for the leveler, firmly establishing once again why he is considered as one of the great young players in England today. Yet possibly the most impressive aspect of the England U21 is his overall appreciation of being a team-playing and fighting spirit:

“I was eager to show I belong at first-team level. I know the club might buy players in January but that doesn’t worry me as I am willing to fight for my minutes on the pitch.

“What every player wants to do is play with world class and European class players and I am no different.

“It doesn’t matter to me what reputation players have or come with. My aim is to show I am as good as them.

“Hopefully in years to come I might be considered a world class player.”