Friday, December 26, 2008

Bill Kenwright’s Christmas message

An important Chrismas message from Everton Chairman Bill Kenwright, as per the club web-site.

Dear fellow Evertonians,

Christmas means many things to many people. For the lonely and for those with seemingly unsolvable problems it represents a period which they simply want to get through; for those of us lucky enough to have caring families, it can be a magical time when we can revel and rejoice in the love of those special to us. Of course, for those of us who love our football, it simply means three games in a week!

I have a fantastic family, most of whom who have been coming to Christmas games with me for the last six decades. I also have another family - one I know to be the best and the most loyal in world sport. Some of us within that family play the role of the decision-makers, others are blessed in that they fill roles the rest of us can only dream of - one which invloves pulling on that famous Royal Blue shirt to represent the greatest football club in the world. Above all else, we are supporters - that is what unites us, that is what makes us special.

As I said, Christmas is a time for family - and I know of no other football club where that sense of family and togetherness is stronger than it is here at Everton. At Goodison Park the camaraderie which exists amongst our playing staff, coaching staff and the many people who work throughout the club is truly exceptional. But, this very precious form of unity would not be possible without the support and backing which everyone at Everton receives from our extended family of supporters. Most of you know - and, I hope, accept -that I am simply one of you - someone who is trying to get for YOU what YOU want for this football club. Your loyalty to me - and to everyone else at Everton - is truly special, truly valued, and as far as I’m concerned, truly unique.

As I walked to the car park after the Chelsea game on Monday night, I wasn’t thinking of the four-hour motorway journey I had to endure on my way back south but more of the extraordinary feeling of fellowship and friendship which I know our club possesses. I’d just watched eleven players give their all- and then some- against one of the strongest teams in world football. They had performed with both passion and professionalism and Evertonians were rightly proud of them. Our current senior squad is, in my opinion, made up of some of the finest lads in football today. Although I’m not a Chairman who likes to frequent the dressing room and get involved in the playing side of things, I have, over the last couple of months, spent time with David Moyes, his staff and the players- and I want you all to know that they too are proud to be a part of YOUR Blue army. From the boys who have been here for a relatively short period, to the lads who are coming through the ranks, to those who have given us stability over the past few years, they give me the distinct impression that they want to go out there and play for each other, for you and for this football club. There really can be no finer tribute to a club and its fans.

In finishing this Christmas message, it would be wrong of me not to include my personal thanks to our acting CEO Robert Elstone and his staff. They seek to improve, they seek to deliver and they seek to achieve- I believe our club to be in safe hands.

And finally there’s David and his staff. I said five years ago that I felt that our man would one day become one of the very great managers in football. For me he has already achieved this. He devotes every waking hour to this football club - and I’m truly proud and grateful to have him as my friend and our manager.

Everyone knows that we are not the richest football club in the world- but I know that not one of you would swap one minute of your Everton devotion for a lifetime of support of another club. We do constantly strive to provide the manager with the funds that he needs to continue our progress on the field- without, of course, placing in jeopardy our progress away from it. The support of you, our family of Evertonians, makes that possible.

So please enjoy a wonderful Christmas. Enjoy this season of peace and goodwill with your families, safe in the knowledge that there is another family you will always have surrounding you for as long as you support our great club.

Bill Kenwright
Chairman