Tuesday, November 25, 2008

an admission my friends

Now and then I like to "admit" a few things in these little blog posts. Possibly the most obvious one and I doubt it much of a secret is my support of regional talent. While I am more than aware I'm a bit of a dinosaur in the Footy blogoshere, I appreciate the play of clubs that represent the region and in-the-end support the game within international play. That is a delicate dish to serve up of-course, particularly as you consider the maddening financial structure of the sport however it is my sincerest hope to see young men come up through the Academy and to eventually becoming shining examples to the community.

With that horribly long-winded segue now complete it will come to no surprise that I am supporter of nineteen year-old Andy Carroll. A local boy who has represented the Three Lions as a U-19 who possesses a wealth of talent and hopefully someone we'll see on the pitch more. While young Andy was an unused substitute this weekend against Chelsea, Joe Kinnear is showing a commitment to his growth and he is likely to be seen more in the future. In a reserve match against Liverpool reserve last night, the young striker headed-in Phil Airey''s free-kick three minutes into added-time to draw the match level. While the reserves get far-too little notice and likely something I should pick up the pace on, last nights line-up contained a host of talented eighteen year-olds including Italy U-18 capped Fabio Zamblera, Tamás Kádár and Ben Tozer, each of who I suspect you'll be hearing a great deal of in the future.