Thursday, November 27, 2008

Het Legioen travels to A Coruña

After opening losses to Nancy Lorraine and CSKA Moscow, Feyenoord is in a "must-win" situation against La Liga's Deportivo de La Coruña. The Spanish side in their only group stage match were rough off the pitch by CSKA 3-0 and will be anxious to find the win column in-front of their home fans. The irony of this match cuts deep as veteran Roy Makaay has fond memories of his days in A Coruña.

He recalled:
"Obviously I'm looking forward to this match. I played here for four years, four beautiful years. My son was born there, we won everything there was to win at domestic level in Spain. We celebrated winning the Spanish title, we won the Spanish Cup, and did that in Madrid on the day Real celebrated their centenary. We won two Super Cups and in my final year I was the top scorer in Europe. I'm looking forward to going back there for the first time in almost six years. My return brings back emotions, both for me and the people here. Just going out on the pitch at the Riazor for training on Wednesday evening was very special to me. That was the moment to let all the memories and emotions take over. For me it is beautiful we drew Deportivo away, but for sporting reasons for Feyenoord it would have been better to play at home. From my own experience I know how hard it is to win here, but we will have to if we want to stay in the race."

Following this past weekends crowd pleasing 3-1 victory over ADO, Feyenoord is unbeaten in three matches and taking solid steps as their young guns continue to grow with confidence and prowl for victories.

Injuries are the concern as Gertjan Verbeek will not only be without Jonathan de Guzmán but Diego Biseswar, Serginho Greene, Denny Landzaat, Jon Dahl Tomasson and Ron Vlaar. The Spanish side is dealing with a number of injuries including Rodolfo Bodipo and Julian de Guzmán will need to meet his brother after the match as both are injured.

Enjoy the match and let me hear from Het Legioen