Thursday, February 5, 2009

a hard road back for Mateja Kežman

The fallout from Mateja Kežman throwing his shirt and storming down the tunnel after being substituted in yesterdays Coupe de la Ligue semi-finals at Parc des Princes is having far reaching implications with the Serbian internationals career in jeopardy.

Paul Le Guen, who curiously chose to rest Claude Makélélé with a opportunity to advance to the finals said of the matter:

“Normally, I work on the principle of trying to keep my players when they don’t play much, to stay with them when they’re frustrated. But the club, the institution, is above everything. I never lose sight of that, and what he did was unacceptable.”

Fanning the flames of discontent, when questioned if this was Meteja’s final match for the Parisians, the manager replied:

“We will see. We have to talk to him but it was unacceptable.”

Regretting his action, Mateja Kežman addressed the topic quickly:

“I would like to present my apologies to the supporters, the coach and the players. It’s never happened to me before, but I’m experiencing the most difficult moments of my playing career.

“I threw my shirt down because I was angry with myself, because it’s not like me to miss such a big chance. I know it’s difficult to understand, but I’m a man of character and I wear my heart on my sleeve.

“I’ll do my best to prove that – in the future – I’m better than that. At the moment, we’re only seeing 10% of the real Kežman. But I’m going to prove that I can succeed at this club. Again, my apologies to everyone.”

This is an old story that is merely working itself to the surface. Like the root of a weed that won’t go away, Paul Le Guen did not embrace the move to bring the Serbian striker to the club. Preferring Stade Rennais Jimmy Briand, once the club made it known they would not raise their offer on the young French international, has rarely used the on-loan striker Fenerbahce and made it known he isn’t in favour of exercising their option to purchase his contract.

In a very telling statement Girondins striker Marouane Chamakh, questioned PSG supporters:

“I’m not in his shoes, but it must be difficult to be jeered and whistled at like that. It doesn’t help him as he’s going through a rough patch. He probably reacted without thinking too much. I’ve never seen that at Bordeaux, where we’re backed by the crowd even in the most difficult times.