Monday, January 5, 2009

the best is yet to come with Wayne Bridge

Not to be discouraged by the FA Cup loss to Nottingham Forest that he watched, Wayne Bridge believes the best of his days are to come:

“I’d like to think so, but obviously and most importantly I want to show the fans here and everyone around that I can do well at Manchester City first.

“I’d like to think I’m coming into my prime but I like to keep myself fit anyway and I’ve got a good engine and a good left foot so I’ll be looking forward to showing that on the pitch.”

The arrival of Wayne Bridge from Chelsea unites him with Manager Mark Hughes as they played together at Southampton from 1998 to 2000. Sparky acknowledged the addition of his ex-teammate:

“Wayne’s a quality player and has been for many years.

“He’s an international and knows the Premier League and what it takes to win Premier League games and how hard it is to pick up points.

“He’ll be a great addition for us. We were made aware that we could bring him in and I thought it was a priority that we made sure we brought him to the Club.”

The new man added:

“Obviously I’ve played with the Manager before when he was at Southampton and I know him quite well.

“When I spoke to him everything he said was positive and that’s good to hear. He was positive about me as well and that’s nice it gives me confidence so hopefully I’ll be showing that on the pitch.

“I’m very impressed with the vision of the Club and where it wants to go. Obviously it’s going to take time but we’re going to progress and keep doing so until we achieve big things.

“There are some quality players here already and I’m looking forward to playing alongside them. There’s a lot of talk of bringing more players in so I’m looking forward to that too.”