Monday, January 19, 2009

the new and improved Craig Bellamy

It does not take a great deal of insight in the differences in the types of players Mark Hughes is looking to sign for his club as opposed to management and business associates are focused upon. Along with Wayne Bridge, who the manager played with at Southampton, Mark Hughes knows precisely the type of player he needs.

Such is the case of Craig Bellamy who played under Mark Hughes while he led Wales. Their is no other manager in the Premier League that will get more out of the striker and naysayers should expect an enthusiastic performance by the Wales skipper.

Upon arriving in Manchester, he spoke of his future with the Citizens via an interview on the club web-site:

How much of an influence was Mark Hughes and his coaching team in your decision to come to City?

CB: It was a big factor, because they are people that I have worked with since I was 18. They know me better than anybody-else in the football game, and they are people I completely trust in. They have progressed me massively, and I owe them a lot. The added bonus is that it’s Manchester City and the way it is going at the moment with possibly one or two more players coming in over the top of me. I’m fortunate that this opportunity has come along, and I am grateful. I feel I am at my peak and I hope over the next few years to perform really well here.

We’re still in Europe this season, but how exciting are the manager’s and the club’s ambitions for the future?

CB: I think it is going to be incredible here over the next couple of years. It’s not just for me, you speak to anyone in the Premier League and they would want to come to Manchester City. It’s rare for that to happen outside of the top four, but I think there are a lot of players who would like to come to this club. I’ve been given that opportunity, there are other players who would love it, and so it is up to me to make the most of it. This really is a club that in the next couple of years is going to be incredible. There are so many things happening here that are out of this world, for me to part of it was an offer that I just could not walk away from.

Having worked with the coaches here before, are you expecting to hit the ground running in training?

CB: Yes, it’s perfect. In this transfer window, you only have one month and it’s not great either for clubs trying to buy players, or for players themselves. I have to get my mind set on Manchester City straight away and focus on getting as many points as possible between now and the end of the season. I’d like a good run in the UEFA Cup as well, so for me I will be trying to hit the ground with people like Mark Bowen and the other coaches. That will make it a lot easier, and it was a big factor in why I joined.

And you’ve been in good form of late, so you will be looking to pick up again straight away?

CB: I had a long lay-off last year, and then did not get going until October because of an injury I got in pre-season. My form has been really good, but that final little bit was just lacking. I was unlucky, hitting the post a few times but my performances were at a high level. But when the goals go in as well, that gets you noticed. I am in the best form I have been in for a while, so if I can keep that going then City will get to see it.

Do you know any of your new team mates?

CB: I don’t think you need to know people personally, but I have been in the Premier League for a number of years and I have played against quite a few of the lads here. There are some outstanding players here, and maybe one or two more might come in to add to what is already a very good squad.