Monday, January 12, 2009

Alan Shearer joins in about Andy Carroll

Newcastle legend Alan Shearer joined-in the support of Andy Carroll’s play, saying of the hometown hero:

“To see a youngster come through from the ranks is great.

“Let’s face it he wouldn’t be in the side if Mark Viduka, Oba Martins and Shola Ameobi were fit.

“But he’s been given a great chance.

“He had an earlier chance but to his credit he wasn’t afraid to go in and miss again.

“But it was a great header and he earned Newcastle a point.”

The Gateshead native said of his dream-start within the starting grid that came in-front of his family:

“It’s something I’ve dreamt about for a long time and when I saw the ball go in my head was just buzzing.

“I think everything just went blank and I jumped in the air.

“All my family, my mam, dad and two brothers were in the stands and it was just unbelievable to score my first goal at St.James’ Park.”

“It was a great cross from Damien Duff and I just tried to head it back towards goal and luckily it’s gone in.

“I thought we deserved the draw and the lads have done well to come back from going behind.”