Thursday, February 5, 2009

The best story of the transfer season you never heard about

It is possibly the "best" story of the transfer season you did not hear of but one that reminds us of the game and not the financial balance sheet. With many offers on the table for him, Marc Janko turned aside a substantial pay increase and chose to stay in beautiful Salzburg with Red Bull.

The prolific striker has plunked in thirty goals in the first half of the Austrian Bundesliga campaign and well on his way to winning the Golden Shoe. In making the decision to extend his contract through 2013 the Austrian international said:

"I feel this is a decisive moment in my career.

"I need continuity and an environment in which I feel comfortable, where I can perform at my best. That is why I decided to extend my contract, despite several really good offers from other countries.

"My mission in Salzburg is not yet finished.

"I'm convinced we are in a good place at the moment and we have a bright future ahead of us. The club have always been on my side, throughout the bad times as well as good, and now it's time to give something back."