Monday, February 2, 2009

Shay Given deal officially announced

The much rumoured deal to bring Shay Given to Manchester City from Newcastle is official with the thirty-two year-old Republic of Ireland 'keeper joining the Citizens. Upon signing a contract that will see him through the 2013 season Mark Hughes said:

"I have said for a long time that we need the experience of a keeper like Shay. I am delighted that we have been able to acquire such an accomplished keeper, and one is so highly regarded by everyone in the Premier League.

"We are getting a very good keeper, and the experience he has will help the two outstanding young keepers that we have here in Joe and Kasper. I am looking for them all to grow as a group, and it's important that we have that influence of a senior keeper.

"I have had a good talk with him about where we expect to be in the future. From a football point of view, and a club point of view, it's an easy thing to sell because we know we are going in the right direction. Players want to be part of that."

The new 'keeper noted his excitement in joining the Citizens:

“It's exciting times at Manchester City with the new owners and this manager. There are big plans for the Club. I am very excited to be joining and delighted that Manchester City wanted my services, I'm happy that the two clubs could come to an agreement.

“I have two young kids, I had just moved house in Newcastle and there were a few things that could have made me stay there. I have a lot of friends there, and the supporters there are fantastic. They have been great to me for so many years, and I thank them for that. But I just felt that this was an opportunity for me to come to a club that in my opinion are really going to be going places.

“I am even really excited to be going training on Monday, it's a new chapter in my life and one I am looking forward to.

“The profile of the Club has changed dramatically, and there are already some fantastic players here. It looks like some good players will come here in the future as well, and I am sure the fans must be on the edge of their seats to see who comes here. There is already the nucleus of a very good team here, and I hope I can add to that. I am just delighted that they have chosen me to strengthen their goalkeeping department as well.”