Tuesday, February 3, 2009

our new striker Jô

The Toffees scored big on the final day of the transfer window with Jô coming over from Manchester City on-loan. The 21-year-old Brazilian international joined City from CSKA Moscow last summer for £18m after coming over from homeland club Corinthians in 2006.

The deal does not involve a option to purchase his contract outright however this is a great situation for the Toffees. Why he didn't excel at City is a matter of debate for others but the strange goings on at Eastlands as resulted in a number of good quality players falling out of favour and he certainly was one of them.

In leaving the drama scene of City he said:

"I am very happy and pleased to be here. I have known about the interest of Everton since the beginning of the year and I'm happy to be here.

"I hope to score as many goals as I scored in Russia but I am well aware that the Premier League is a tough league."

Looking out at the little snow covered Dickens village he added:

"Taking into account that I played two years in Russia, this is like summer time for me. But it's still a long way from the beaches in Brazil!"