Friday, April 17, 2009

Fred Rutten takes the reigns at PSV

To absolutely no surprise PSV announced that Fred Rutten will be handed the reigns of the club effective 1 July with a three-year contract. He is the eighth manager for the Eindhoven side this decade but has considerable experience with the club, acting as assistant to Guus Hiddink from 2002 to 2006.

The new leader said of his return to PSV:

"I look forward to the new challenge. After a few weeks of inactivity, I feel I’m ready for a new challenge. It’s a special feeling, in particular as I have worked here already for five seasons.

"It feels good to be back home. We have achieved great successes here. PSV is a warm club. I was offered the job at the end of 2007, but then I was forced to decline it as I had already given my word to FC Twente. My contract with Schalke 04 has been dissolved by mutual agreement, so nothing prevented me this time from rejoining my old club.

"I will first draw up an inventory and I also need time to assess the backroom staff. I like to work together with assistants with strong characters."