Saturday, October 25, 2008

Rangers - Hamilton Accies match preview

The three-week break in action is finally over as the Rangers face the Hamilton Accies at New Douglas Park later today. Oddly enough it is the first of two match between both clubs in three days as they return to Ibrox in the Scottish League Cup on Tuesday.

Walter Smith will have Steven Whittaker, Lee McCulloch and Chris Burke returning from injury with captain Barry Ferguson nearing ready but unavailable for this match.

Commenting on the skippers return, Walter Smith said:

"Barry Ferguson's been a big factor in our team, so we look forward to him coming back.

The Accies are fully-fit from last weekend and after a great start to the campaign have suffered four straight losses. Conversely the Rangers will be looking to make up for lost time and competition within the squad for positions is becoming a heavy motivating factor.

Kris Boyd is angling in the media to be paired with Kenny Miller, noting:

"We have shown already this season that we can work well together as we both have different attributes."

"If we get the chance against Hamilton, I am sure we can show that again."

"It's down to the gaffer at the end of the day, but I just want the chance to show him what I can do."

"I don't mind who I am playing with as long as I am on the pitch.

"Obviously, I have not been involved as much as I would have liked recently, but it's up to me to change that by showing the manager how hungry I am day in, day out in training and in games."

"It's frustrating when you are sitting on the bench, any footballer will say that, but I am always confident I can score and hopefully I can do that this weekend against Hamilton."

"He has to pick the team and, if I am not part of that, it means I have to work harder and take my chance when it comes along."

"The last couple of weeks have been tough, but my decision has been made with regards to Scotland and all I want to do is keep my head down and work hard so that I can get back into the Rangers team," Boyd added.

"Hopefully, we can go one better this season by bringing the league trophy back to Ibrox."

While the club naturally will be slightly "off" from inactivity they are definitely ready to go on the attack.

I will report on the match as it concludes.