Saturday, April 4, 2009

Everton v Wigan match preview

The Toffees effort for European football continues with Wigan coming to Goodison Park on Sunday. Wigan is in a intense battle with West Ham for the final Europa League spot and only seven points behind David Moyes' men.

International play will weigh heavily on selection as both Tim Howard and Tim Cahill have faced difficult travel schedules to arrive in adequate time for the clash. However with the match on Sunday there should not be an extraordinary problem.

The Aussie left nothing to question in his commitment saying:

"I'm at the stage now where people rely on me a lot for always coming up with the big goals in big competitions," he said.

"It's something that I take with open arms because this is what I am there for. I want people to rely on me. In the big games or the big moments, I come up with the goods."

Although the climb to a Champions League spot is unlikely given Everton is seven points behind Arsenal with eight matches remaining it is important to build on their Europa League spot. Confident without a loss in the last ten matches at home, David Moyes has a fully-fit squad available whereas Steve Bruce will miss Jason Koumas and Egyptian international Amr Zaki who has apparently abandoned the club.