Friday, January 2, 2009

Vincent Kompany on the FA Cup

A product of Anderlecht’s youth system, since coming over from Hamburger SV Vincent Kompany has been a steady performer for Mark Hughes. In speaking of tomorrow’s FA Cup match against Nottingham Forest, the twenty-two year old Belgian spoke of the match:

“It’s quite exciting because I am someone that likes to play cup football. You know where it can go, and for me playing at Wembley would be a dream for me. We’re a long way off it, but I want to play in this country for a long time and I hope to one day make it to Wembley.

“The FA Cup was always accessible for people in Belgium, or when I was playing in Germany. There always seems to be something special happening in FA Cup games. They are great to watch and I hope it will be a pleasure to play in.

“Watching the cup results come up on TV with all the surprises was always enjoyable. But we’ve seen when we lost at Brighton what can happen in cups so it’s about the most motivated team. We have to realise that this is a serious game, if we do then I am sure we will go far.

“Unless we fully respect Forest, we won’t get a positive result. We have to understand they can play football as well, they are a good side and they deserve our respect. We’ll have to perform well.”

“It was painful losing at Brighton, especially through penalties. I’m sure this Saturday will be completely different and we won’t make the same mistakes.”